Wednesday 15 October 2014

Wednesday's Word: Silence (15 October 2014)

Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence.  (1 Kings 19.11b-12)

         On Tuesday the 14th of October the CBC radio programme, ‘The Current’ with Anna Maria Tremonti broadcast a segment on a new movement that is gaining traction in North America:  the ‘mindfulness’ movement.  ‘Mindfulness’ builds upon the teachings of Buddhism and, by extension, those of other major religious traditions including Judaism and Christianity.  The goal of this movement is to help us become more attentive to the present and more aware of the workings of our inner selves.  One of the tools of ‘mindfulness’ is silence.

         There are various kinds of silences:  the silence of having no one to talk to, the silence of being so angry with another person that speech is impossible, the silence when electricity is shut off and we have no access to our electronic devices, the silence of being so far from urban society that no sound penetrates our environment.  But there is one other kind of silence:  the intentional silence of listening for God.  North Americans, however, have been conditioned by our visual and audio media to shy away from silence.  We fill every moment with sound by playing music in the background while we work, while we shop, while we drive.  Silence is, I think, frightening to many of us.  Deep within us we know that unexpected insights can surface in silence and many of those insights we seek to keep buried.

         On Thanksgiving Monday I had an encounter with just such an insight.  Paula had gone upstairs for an afternoon nap accompanied by our dog and cats.  For several hours I remained on the main floor of our townhome watching some recorded television and trying to do a little reading.  Then came the unexpected period of silence:  No children’s voices from the school next door, no sound from the road just beyond our home, no voices of the older Sikh women who frequently gather nearby to chat.  I had put my book down, closed my eyes for a few minutes and then a phrase from Sunday’s reading from the Gospel according to Matthew came:  ‘And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?’ (Matthew 6.27)

         From silence a word was spoken that I try to keep suppressed but is true:  I do worry.  I worry about retirement; I worry about my children; I worry about the Parish; I worry about the Church.  In short I worry about the future.  But the future is not in my control, only the present and what I do with each and every moment that I draw breath.  Silence brought me back to the present.

         All of us need silence.  Let me write again:  All of us need silence, the intentional silence of setting everything aside to listen for God.  Sometimes the silence is empty; sometimes the silence is filled with cares and concerns that bubble up from the deep fissures of our souls.  But if they are not allowed to come to the surface, they cannot be exposed to the light and to the wisdom of God.  And if they are not exposed to the light and to the wisdom of God, they can become corrosive.

         I invite you to join me in taking time each day, even if only for a few minutes, for intentional silence.  Perhaps we will hear the voice of God and, in hearing that voice, find what we need to be who we are created to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment